Monday, January 21, 2013

Killing Yeast- Cloth Diapers


After 4 short months of cloth diapering my daughter, I noticed she was starting to get a rash… Or so I thought. After 4-5 days of treating her rash with CJ’s Butter (cloth diaper safe) I realized the rash was not getting any better, it was not getting any worst either but it was still there. I put her back in disposable diapers to try to treat the rash with other ointments (A&D and Butt Paste) neither were helping either. Becoming more desperate I gave my sister a call, she has 4 girls herself and so I often call her for advice. She told me it could be a yeast infection.

Long story short I went to our pediatrician and she prescribed ointment to kill my daughters yeast infection. But the question still remained how I was going to kill the yeast in her diapers? After read and researching several blogs and other cloth diapering sites. I realized I could use a few items I already contained in my house; Tea Tree Oil and Grapefruit Seed Extract. No blog or tutorial told me house to use it or what I could do. So I decided I would “make up my own way.” They yeast infection never came back so I assume it worked. J

 

Follow the steps below:

1.    Cold Rinse the diapers.

2.    Soak the diapers in hot overnight in Tea Tree Oil. The amount will vary based on how many diapers you have.  I used 10-15 drops

3.    I than did another cold rinse.

4.    Hot was with cloth diapering safe Laundry detergent. My favorite is Rockin’ Green.

5.    I than did another hot water soak in grapefruit seed extract. On the bottle of grapefruit seed extract it states that it can be used for killing yeast.

6.    Did more cold rinses.

 

This may have been a little over kill but I would rather it be gone and never return again. Both Tea Tree Oil and Grapefruit seed extract kill bacteria, which is exactly what you want. You can find these at your local health food store. I purchased mine from Sprouts in Arizona.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, so this may be a little late but my son has a yeast infection and i am looking to try to kill his yeast infection. How did you know your daughters yeast infection was gone before you put her back in her cloth diapers? i am so nervous tryign the diapers again i have already used grapeseed extract and tea tree oil but i am still nervous.
    THanks

    ReplyDelete